Sunday 9 February 2020, 5.00pm – 6.00pm
What makes a great leader
- Prof Peter Hoj, Vice-Chancellor and President, The University of Queensland
- Prof Roland De Marco, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation), University of the Sunshine Coast
- Prof Margaret Shiel, Vice-Chancellor and President, Queensland University of Technology
Chair: Prof Joe Shapter
Effective leaders have the capacity to inspire audiences and empower their employees. Come and learn how these leaders have carved their paths to success and discovered their leadership styles. Everyone is welcome to come to this session before the Welcome event and there will be ample opportunities to ask the panellists questions to gain their insights on a range of topics.
Monday 10 February 2020, 12.45pm – 1.25pm
How to get published
- Prof Paul S. Weiss, University of California, Los Angeles, United States
- Dr Fabio Pulizzi, Nature Publishing Group, United Kingdom
- Dr Esther Levy, Wiley, VIC
- Prof Dongyuan Zhao, Fudan University and Senior Editor for ACS Central Science
- Prof Lei Jiang, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Chair: Dr Yang Bai
Editors from several major journals will provide insights into the publishing process, what they are expecting in a journal paper, current trends in academic publishing, etc.
Tuesday 11 February 2020, 12.45pm – 1.25pm
Women in leadership
- Prof Rose Amal, University of New South Wales
- Prof Bin Liu, National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Prof Amanda Ellis, The University of Melbourne
Chair: Dr Sophia Gu and Dr Cindy Gunawan
Several leading academics will provide their insights into career challenges and discuss strategies and support available to overcome these challenges.
Wednesday 12 February 2020, 12.45pm – 1.25pm
Getting your first job
- Prof Alan Rowan, Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, The University of Queensland
- Prof Joe Shapter, Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, The University of Queensland
- Prof Chennupati Jagadish, Australian Nanotechnology Network, Australian National University
Chair: Dr Munkhbayar Batmunkh
The panellists are senior staff members involved in many interview processes over many years. They will provide insights ranging from application or CV preparation, interview preparation, questions to expect in interviews, etc.
Thursday 13 February 2020, 12.15pm – 12.55pm
Fostering successful academic-industry partnerships in nanotechnology
- Dr Murray Height, HeiQ Australia Pty Ltd
- Prof Darren Martin, The University of Queensland
- Mr Craig Nicol, Graphene Manufacturing Group
- Dr Paul Sernia, Tritium
- Dr Ian Griffiths, Australian National Fabrication Facility (ANFF)
- Dr Warren McKenzie, Entrepreneur
Chair: Dr Mohan Krishnamoorthy
This panel session will showcase some great examples of projects and collaboration between academia and industry (6 “speed talks”), followed by a Q&A session to be chaired by Professor Mohan Krishnamoorthy, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research Partnerships), The University of Queensland. It will be held during lunchtime to a large audience of delegates, including many early and mid-career researchers who we know are very keen to hear how to better engage with commercial partners (and potentially, future employers!).
Please note the program is subject to change.